Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fitness, eating well, and goals

 

image

Happy Wedding Year!
(to us, and to all of you 2011 brides!)

My little sis / Maid of Honor got engaged on Christmas Eve! They are currently thinking a Spring wedding in 2012. So excited to help her plan stuff too! We’re going to the Southern New England Bridal Expo at the RI Convention Center this Sunday…my last hoorah and her first!

Coming up is my shower toward the end of March and my bachelorette party I assume will be some time in April :) All of these occasions to look good for!

First dress fitting is exactly ONE MONTH from today.

pink tape measure

I’ve begun eating better since all of the last of the holiday cookies got tossed. Protein is the key in staying satiated. I once heard you should eat like a king for breakfast, queen for lunch, and a prince for dinner. Good thing breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

Here’s what I’ve been doing:

  • 2-3 egg whites in a frying pan with a bit of non-stick spray, a smidge of salt and a bunch of black pepper
  • whole wheat English muffin or a slice of whole wheat toast, a smidge of real butter on the toast or muffin (because the fake stuff is all chemicals),
  • coffee with 1-2 teaspoons of real sugar, 1% whole milk (takes getting used to)
  • small glass of OJ or grapefruit juice
  • piece of fruit..apple, banana, orange or grapefruit.

The key is getting that metabolism going.

Having a mid-morning snack of red grapes, a tablespoon of peanut butter (I keep it at my desk), a chobani yogurt or protein bar is great.

Lunches are tough but I’m working on that…tunafish with celery, carrots, or red onion, some lite mayo and a whole wheat pita is really great. Tuna can be replaced with low-sodium turkey from the deli…but I’m considering cooking up my own turkey breast and slicing it up for the week..no fillers or preservatives and I know what I season it with.

Afternoon snacks are the same as morning options but I sometimes like to have a coffee to rev up that metabolism, preparing me for my workout after work. A banana in the afternoon, if you haven’t had one in the morning, is great brain food. Banana’s actually have lots of sugar in them so it’s best to stick with medium to small size bananas. I keep unsweetened applesauce at work along with flavored seltzer when I craved carbonation.

Dinners are anything ranging from a protein shake to chicken or a lean meat and fresh steamed vegetables..whole grain rice or a sweet potato is good too…and I love a cup of tea at night.

And did I mention I drink at least 2-3 liters of water per day?
I love my Sigg.

sigg

Yesterday was rough – 2pm salty food cravings….so I had a clementine right from Spain (amazing this time of year) and one square of 86% cacao dark chocolate…but no respite. I am dying for French fries!

I fit into my dress just fine but still would love to tone up and lose a few more pounds and get back to my high school weight…and of course tone the abs, butt and thighs. Months ago, I was reading a wedding blog…a bride was looking back at her wedding photos and wished she had worked harder to lose that last 10 pounds…when else will I ever get to look as best I can? “I think I can, I think I can…”

Last winter we did P90X in preparation for our cruise in May…it was amazing and definitely had a positive impact on our health. We drank protein shakes along with trying to eat better...we totally looked and felt our best, but I think I could have done ever better if I squeezed out that last crunch, or did just one more rep or lunge, or had 10 less potato chips here and there.

This Sunday begins our P90X marathon…along with brisk walks during lunch break, I am convinced I can look and feel my best by 5/29!

Please share your fitness/diet tips!

6 comments:

Moni said...

lol I have the same exact Sigg bottle but in Blue and Orange! I've been on this no carb, no sugar diet for a week now and lost about 3 lbs. It's been tough b/c I love rice and pasta. G.L My fitting is also next month too!

K5 Becomes a Bride said...

Nice Moni!! I could never do no carbs...I would go insane...good luck with that! Lots of credit to you! I forgot your fitting is right near mine :)

Jasmine said...

congrats to your sister! that's so much fun, now you can have someone to plan with!!

i lived at alllll the bridal shows last year! they are so much fun. i used to bring address labels! they make things so easy when you want to enter your name somewhere - you don't have to write everything out! just peel your sticker and go!

kristinoffiler said...

You're going to be a gorgeous bride!! I quit the gym a few months before the wedding to save a little money and turned to the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD to get in shape. Seriously, I have NEVER been in better shape EVER. It's broken into 3 segments. Each one is 20 minutes, and you start with level 1 (which is an ass-kicker!) and do it until you feel you've mastered it, then move onto the next. I don't normally like DVDs, but I was craving direction. Everything was all over the place in the final months before the wedding (with the house closing, wedding plans, school, etc), so I really needed structure. And I could easily commit to 20 minutes a day. It's interval work, so you get as much cardiovascular benefits as an hour at a moderate pace on a machine,so I liked that.

ANYWAY-- I was in the best shape of my life at our wedding. I was toned, slim, and I felt damn good. I wouldn't have changed a thing and I'm very glad I put in the effort. It was tough to stay vigilant with food and exercise when life got chaotic, but it was totally worth it. I look at my wedding pics and love how my arms look, and look at honeymoon pics and love how I look in my dresses and shorts. Do it for yourself so you'll feel healthy, but also do it a little for vanity! Nothing wrong with that!! :) :)

xo,
Kristin

Kristin said...

Sounds like you're doing awesome! I need to keep following you for motivation! I use www.myfitnesspal.com....which is a great way to journal what you're eating every day and keep track of calories. It totally keeps me in check so I know whether or not I can have that little extra something.

K5 Becomes a Bride said...

thanks for all of your helpful comments ladies!