Monday, August 2, 2010

DIY: Painted Wine Bottles, Part II

Well, it took me 5 months and 9 days to post a Part II to my Painted Wine Bottle Project…Part I involved washing and scrubbing about 10 bottles…

DSC06272

Part II involved priming the bottles, and deciding on a color. At first I wanted to go with all white glossy bottles, but then I changed my mind and wanted to do a brushed nickel.

I used all Krylon products because Dad says they are the best brand. Each can is around 3.99 each @ Home Depot. So far I’ve spent around $15.00 on trying all of this out.

Here they are primed with white, then spraypainted brushed nickel.

*The primed bottles had to be lightly sanded before spraying on the nickel finish.

 DSC08824

DSC08828 DSC08825

While it’s not an overall failure, it’s not quite right for our wedding reception. The silver is more for an outdoor daytime wedding or a fireplace mantle in a very bright, modern living room.

They do reflect light softly, though the lighting and table shown are not accurate of what our tables will look like.

New thoughts on this project – try gold for a warmer feel. The silver is too industrial for a romantic evening wedding reception. If a solid gold/pinkish copper doesn’t do it, my last resort will be texturing the bottles with hand-painted brushstrokes. If that fails, then we devise a Plan B for 10 of my tables!

I do have pictures of dimmed lighting and some candlelight glowing around these bottles. Stay tuned tomorrow!

3 comments:

Ms. Wedding Crasher said...

COOL!

Shelby Bukhenik said...

They still look really pretty....very cool project!

Nicole-Lynn said...

I think they turned out great! Such a creative idea! I've actually been collecting large light green or clear wine bottles and plan to use them as some decor for our wedding but wasn't sure how. I might try this and paint them white or wrap them with something. Thanks for the inspiration :)