Sunday, January 24, 2010

Flowers and Centerpieces

Remember when I said I really wanted all tulips for wedding flowers?

Well…

I met with Golden Gate Studios on Saturday 1/16…awesome awesome awesome! I did not meet with Jay though…I think her name was Ashley…(someone please correct me if that’s wrong :-)) super nice and she totally shared her creative vision which was right on track with mine - single bloom…wow-factor…bang for buck. We got to talking about tulips and the fact that our wedding is on Memorial Day Weekend. There is a chance it may be warm outside, and tulips do not fare well in warm weather – they will open. They’d be fine for centerpieces while the stems are in water, but I’d need a lot of them to achieve the full lush effect I want each table to have.

So she mentioned white hydrangea for centerpieces – brilliant! I’d thought of them but for some reason had my heart set on tulips. Oh well! Sorry tulips! One stem of white hydrangea can go a long way in creating a full centerpiece. I’d prefer white because with a room full of candle light and aqua + amber uplighting, the colors will cast a romantic glow on the white flowers. We would do 6 very tall centerpieces with a 24 inch vase, tall cherry blossom branches surrounded by white hydrangea at the very top of the vase.

Here’s a rough idea from another wedding on The Knot. This is a close up of the vase opening, the hydrangea and then tall branches coming out of it.

large_image_theknot

Here’s another idea I found and I just love the idea of little splashes of aqua in the form of candles or candle holders.

dinebydesign_aqua1

But since we met, I’ve really been thinking…we can’t afford to waste money on centerpieces of flowers that are just going to die. I think doing 6 or so tall centerpieces with hydrangea is OK to give the room some great visuals, but doing hydrangea on 24-30 tables…I think our money can be better spent.

I’ve been thinking of something unique for other tables…such as a colored betta fish with coral colored rocks, or goldfish with aqua rocks (pictured below) surrounded by votives on the table to cast a really cool glow on the fish..even submerse an LED light in the blue rocks. It will also give the table something cool to take home.

goldfish-in-a-tank-with-blue-rocks

Suggestions are welcome!

As for bouquets, I’ve fallen in love with the idea of coral colored peonies for my bouquet and cream/white peonies for my 7 bridesmaids. I’m all about single blooms and being modern, unique, colorful and different..yet romantic. I think a lush bouquet of coral/peachy peonies embodies just that.

The girls would carry a smaller version of this:

whtie_peony

And I’d carry these peony roses (or garden roses, not sure what they are really called) in a peachy hue…:

Juliet_Garden_Rose_GVF_250

Garden-Rose-Orange-Rene-Goscinny250x250

So, I feel that my flower vision is getting closer to being final, though we haven’t bought our dresses yet…so you know what that means…things can change! I am still going to be meeting with other florists, too.

Here’s to another busy week of work, school and design!

4 comments:

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

OOH...I love tulips, hydrangeas and peonies...some of my fave flowers! I think your ideas are fabulous! Bummed you're not keeping with the tulips as that is what my April wedding is all about :) Be sure to check out my blog post tomorrow which has lots of pictures of our mockup centerpieces which are all tulips :) Let me know what you think. You might like the idea of submerged flowers that I am doing.

Chocolate Lover said...

I love all those flowers! And I love the inspiration pics you are using! I love the full look you are going for and am thinking of something similar for my bridesmaids. Can't wait to see it all!

Aylee Bits said...

I love the touches of aqua. And I love garden roses!

Annie @ MarryYouMe said...

The first peach garden rose you showed is a Peach Juliet, we had them at our wedding :)